Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Advent Reading Day 9


Scripture reading: Exodus 12:1-39 -- The Passover and Escape from Egypt
Symbol: A kneading bowl (when God freed the Israelites from the Egyptians, there was not even time to bake the bread, they gather up the raw dough in their kneading bowls and carry it along with them like that)
___________________
I should make clear that I did not come up with these Advent readings on my own. They are from a book called Let's Make a Jesse Tree! by Darcy James. I have adapted some of it to our needs and liking. I referenced the author and her book on my first blog about this and don't want to give the impression that this is my own.....I am not that good! :)
And this is how we do this with our boys:
Each night after dinner, we all sit on the couch and read the bible story. We talk about the symbol and what it means and the boys take turns each night hanging the ornament on the tree. Then we pray and I have each boy pray something pertaining to the Bible story. I also try to review some of the previous stories and symbols with them to reinforce what we have talked about.
Some nights go better than others. Some nights the boys really pay attention and others not so much. Even so, it has been a sweet time together as a family and the boys really look forward to doing it.

No comments: